Saturday, January 23, 2010

Homesick

I'm sure it's the cold weather or maybe the gray sky and rain, but I've been feeling really homesick lately. It's not that I don't like Mississippi or that going back to St. Croix is even an option, but I miss it. I miss 365 days of summer. I miss painfully blue skies and mountains so green that they look black in the distance. I miss horses and chickens running freely along the road, in my yard, in the parking lot of the local Kmart. I miss pastel houses dotting the horizon. Turquoise water and cobalt water and navy blue water full of fish that swam around my feet. I miss sun cradling my face as I floated on my back in the sea and the sun kissed cheeks of my babies and their friends running around without shirts. This move was the only logical option for us at the time, but logic isn't a cure for homesickness.....



There are good things about living in Mississippi. The people are friendly and the cost of living is WAY less and we live in a much roomier house. We are closer to our family and friends and their are more things for the children to see and do. Those are all of the reasons that we left, but it's hard to readjust from the warm, laid back island life style. AND there, we lived in a little pink house and it was totally acceptable. Lots of people lived in pink houses! Our pink house had a huge cactus that would bloom with red and orange cactus flowers, lots of mango trees that would drop them like heavy bowling balls onto the grass, and little green lizards that would cling to our screen door at night to eat the flying bugs trying to escape into the house. There was a clothesline where I could hang my cloth diapers to be bleached and freshened by the sun and tropical breezes.




Now we live in a brick house. And our brick house is very nice, but our trees only drop acorns and leaves. We are lucky enough to have deer in our yard on a regular basis, but they don't keep the bugs out of the house. And the girls have lots of friends in the neighborhood, it's just not the same.....

No comments:

Post a Comment