Saturday, February 16, 2013

Deconstructed Closet Organization

So, I will be the first one to admit that I am NOT a great housekeeper.  I own a lot of things.  I collect a lot of things.  I have a lot of things.  I am okay with that.  It's a part of who I am.  That being said, I am not a fan of being surrounded by tons of things with no particular place for them to go.  The current thorn in my side is my bedroom.  The hubs and I have a pretty good sized bedroom and closet, but it always seems like there are clothes everywhere.  The problem - we never put all of our laundry away.  Ever.  We wash, dry, fold and leave it in the basket.  Eventually, we need the basket for dirty clothes and so we dump the clean clothes on the chair or the bed with all intentions to put it away later.  It never happens.  So, I proposed that we stop even intending to put the laundry away.  Just don't.  It's a crazy concept, I know.  But here's what we've done.  I went to the store and bought two cheapy plastic storage shelves, like the ones that you would put in the garage, and 12 (yes 12) laundry baskets.  I set up the shelves in out closet (one for the hubs and one for me) and put two laundry baskets on each shelf (six for him, six for me).  The shelves and baskets serve as a sort of tiered laundry system.  The baskets on the top shelf contain clean t-shirts and tank tops, my middle shelf has pajamas, socks and underwear and those in between clothes that can be worn again before they have to be washed, and the bottom shelf is dirty laundry.  So when the dirty laundry basket is full, I just pull the whole basket out, dump it in the wash and toss the clean clothes back into their respective baskets.  Voila!  I still fold my jeans and put them on the closet shelf and hang my (very few) dresses, but I think this system will word out well for us.


It's definitely not the prettiest closet makeover you are going to find, but pretty doesn't always work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment